Sunday, June 14, 2009

Firefighter Challenge

About a month ago, Kitzzy told me about this event called the Firefighter Challenge. I've done a bunch of foot races and this sounded fun and different. I also thought it'd be kinda cool to see what my dad and grandpa did for a living. I went ahead and signed up.

The event consisted of five parts and participants went two at a time. The first part was a labyrinth that you crawl through. It was a covered tube with a bunch of obstacles and low-hanging tops. Even crawling really low, my back hit the top of the box and scraped it up pretty good.

We then had to run around a cone, grab a charged firehose, and drag it about 100 feet. Those firehoses are surprisingly heavy when filled with water, but the nozzle is pretty awesome and they move some serious water! Once we got the hose to the end, we had to knock over two cones.

Next we had to drag a firesled about 100 feet. This simulates dragging a person out of a building. A firesled is a sled loaded with weight, about 100lbs, with two straps to hold on to. It also has this rubber-band device that simulates knocking out the roof from a building. We dragged the sled backwards, which really does a number on your calves, and had to use the roof-knocker 5 times. This was surprisingly difficult.

Finally, we had to put on a firefighter airpack and run up 14 flights of stairs to the top of the Rosen Hotel on International Drive. This was crazy. I felt very dizzy at one point going up and could not catch my breath for nearly a half hour afterwards. I don't know why running up stairs is so incredibly difficult, but this was harder than just about any run I've done.

This entire event only last 5:53 for me, but it felt much, much longer. There were some firefighters that did this in full gear, and a few people that did it twice! I have a newfound respect for firefighters and am glad I got to experience this. I *might* do it again if I can train a LOT more before the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment