Sunday, July 5, 2009

Bike Ride to Wekiva

We've been talking about riding all the way to Wekiva Springs for awhile and finally decided on a date to do it. Tim, Kitzzy, and I left our place at about 7:15am, rode up the Cady Way and Cross Seminole Trail to meet Lisa, Joe, and James at the Townhouse Restaurant in Oviedo.

Our goal was to get to Wekiva by 11, but that was a bit optimistic. We got to the Townhouse at about 8:20, ran into Pete, and after a bit of a tire problem on Lisa's bike, got back on the trail by about 8:45. We took a break at Soldier's Creek Park and Tim, James, and I did a round on the trail.

From Soldier's Creek, the Cross Seminole Trail took us north where we crossed over I4 in Lake Mary, then got on the Seminole Wekiva Trail to head south to Wekiva Springs. I underestimated how far north it took us and it was about 12 miles from there to get to the springs.

Those springs were absolutely wonderful! Cold? Yes. Awesome? Yes. We barbecued some hot dogs and hamburgers and swam around. It was such a great reward after a long, hot ride! Overall we rode 46.47 miles and it took us 3 hours, 46 minutes to complete. (12:31 mph average)

Kitzzy in Aero James Lisa Joe

We had an awesome SAG car (Chastity) who drove up and brought all our gear. I had considered riding back, but needed to get some work done so we all loaded up our bikes on the car for the ride back.

I had a great time and I'm really looking forward to doing this again. I think we need to give ourselves more time and overestimate our ETA next time, but overall this was a great trip!

1 comment: