Monday, February 15, 2010

I'm not a runner.

I am not a runner. I've complained every step of the way to getting into running. But now I think I'm addicted.

In early 2008, Kitzzy was starting to get into running so I decided to run the 5k races that she did, but I didn't do any running in between the races. Eventually, she signed up for a 10k with her dad and my dad decided to do it. Well I couldn't let my dad show me up.

I signed up for the 10k and knew I would actually have to train for it so I started running on a somewhat regular basis. I still didn't like running after the 10k, so Kitzzy talked me into training for a triathlon. I like biking and swimming much more, and suffered through the run portion.

In 2009, I did several triathlons, including an Olympic distance at the end of the year. At the end of triathlon season, Kitzzy had started talking about running a marathon the following February. I eventually, yet still reluctantly, decided to train with her.

Starting in November 2009, I started on a pretty regular training schedule. I followed the training program that Kitzzy did with her Galloway group, but I just ran on my own. At some point in the last four months of training, I started to enjoy it.

I'm still not totally sold on marathon-distance runs, but I actually quite enjoy half-marathon distance and below now. Maybe after I finish my first marathon at the end of the month, I'll feel differently about that distance.

I'm now looking forward to triathlon season this year and hopefully now that I have my running base, I'll do a half ironman triathlon by the end of 2010.

Okay, maybe I am a runner.

1 comment:

  1. I've recently discovered something magical about running as well.

    I realized that if I didn't do something, I was going to become one of those fat IT guys. Given all the time constraints I have, my only real option for cardio is my treadmill. I resolved to do cardio 6x a week, and most days that means the treadmill.

    For the longest time, I would peter out after about 15 minutes. One day I decided to push myself. At about minute 24, something happened. I got a huge burst of energy. My speed improved. I wasn't as tired. I felt great. I ended up going up from 15 minutes to 36 then to 60 over three days. I feel like I could go forever if only my legs were stronger.

    I can't say I'm runner, but I'm starting to like it.

    ReplyDelete